I don’t feel very talkative today, so here’s only the recipe + photos + verdict. The photos are not great, but the curry is tasty! Do give it a go!
A simple courgette curry
SOURCE: adapted from Spiciyana’s Simple Courgette Curry
PREPARATION TIME: about 5 min
COOKING TIME: 20 – 30 min
Zucchini (medium size)- 2
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
Curry leaves – 8-10nos
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Onions sliced (preferably red) – 1 ½ cup
Ginger finely chopped – 1 ½ tsp
Garlic finely chopped – 1 tsp
2 green chilies, chopped
Coconut milk (light) – 3/4cup
A dash each of turmeric, powdered ginger and cumin powder
A squeeze of lemon juice (to taste)
1. Halve each zucchini horizontally. Cut each half into 1-½ inch slices. Score (2 or 4 lines) the flesh side of the pieces with a knife.
2. Mix chilly powder, coriander powder and a pinch of salt, add 1 tbsp water and make a thick paste.
3. Marinate zucchini pieces in this paste for 10-20 minutes.
4. Heat ¾ tsp oil till smoking hot; add onions, ginger, chilies and garlic and sauté till onions are translucent.
5. Add 3/4 cup of water to the sautéed mixture and let the water boil. Arrange the marinated zucchini pieces with cut side up in this mixture.
6. Mix ¼ cup of water with the remaining marinade and add to the pan. Add ¼ cup of coconut milk. Cook covered for 8-12 minutes. Remove the lid; turn the heat up to thicken the gravy. (At this point, I added the turmeric, ginger and cumin).
7. Once the gravy is thick, add ½ cup of coconut milk, and gently mix. Turn of the heat. Slightly crush curry leaves with ¼ tsp coconut oil and add to the prepared curry. Keep it covered for 5-10 minutes. Mix well before serving with rice. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and garnish with chopped coriander.
Tasty! I’ve seen this recipe ages ago, and wanted to try it! Today was the day! The sentences in italics are my additions and modifications of the original recipe. I found that the lemon juice livened up the flavour of the curry with a lovely sour note!
I think the courgettes need to be cooked for less time, and I’ll do that next time! Yeap, there will be a next time!🙂