I didn’t mean to post anything tonight, but I’ve just made something lovely! I love it when something you’ve sort of put together as you went along turns out to be delicious. The only thing I knew was that I wanted to use up my salmon, green beans and coconut milk. I started cooking without a defined idea in my mind, and without a recipe. Therefore, the list of ingredients is rather haphazard, as it involved a lot of tasting and adjusting. You will recognise South-East Asian and Indian influences. The result was a rather soupy, aromatic sauce, that went really well with the noodles, and tasted delicious! Bf and I both loved it! It was pleasantly hot, as far as we are concerned, but if you prefer milder food, reduce the amount of chilies. Again, there is no photo, but there will definitely be one next time. Yes, I will make this again!
Fragrant and aromatic salmon soup with noodles
SOURCE: Momentary inspiration + Asian influences
PREPARATION TIME: about 10 min
COOKING TIME: 20 – 30 min
SERVES: 2 – 3
1 onion, chopped
1 inch ginger, chopped into small pieces
4 finger green chilies, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
12 fenugreek seeds
100 g green beans, halved
3 blades of lemongrass, cut into 3-cm pieces and crushed slightly
200 ml coconut milk
kaffir lime leaves
2 – 3 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
a dash each of turmeric, cumin, ground ginger and ground coriander
1/2 tbsp chicken stock
water as necessary
1/2 green pepper (we used 2 pimientos de padron)
250 g salmon, cut into bite-sized pieces
fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Fry the onions, ginger, chilies and garlic until golden. Halfway through, add the fenugreek seeds.
2. Add green beans and saute for a minute or two.
3. Add coconut milk and the rest of the ingredients, apart from the raw fish. Adjust amounts according to taste.
4. Now add the salmon, and cook until tender.
5. Meanwhile, cook the noodles.
6. When the noodles are done, and the salmon is tender, put the noodles into bowls, and ladle the soup over the noodles. Garnish with coriander and serve. Enjoy!
Delicious, very fragrant and aromatic! I will definitely make this again!
It takes no time to cook, too! Next time, when I’m more certain of what I’m doing, it will take me even less!